Scott Alexander is one of my favorite writers and Slate Star Codex is (by far) my favorite blog. It’s pretty difficult for me to communicate with people who haven’t read most of Slate Star Codex. It’s like trying to have a conversation with a frequentist Hegelian who doesn’t believe in evolution. The inferential distances are so huge, you don’t even know where to start.
At some point, I realized that not everyone wants to read absolutely everything by Scott Alexander. At first, I wanted to give up on humanity. But now I think that there could be a tiny chance that humanity is not completely doomed even if everyone reads only Scott’s top 50 posts or so. That’s why I created this list of my favorite posts of his.
The posts are sorted into somewhat arbitrary categories and the really good ones are marked in bold. The most super duper uber amazing crucial ones are marked in bold and italic.
My favorite posts by Scott Alexander
Table of Contents
- My favorite posts by Scott Alexander
- Coordination, game theory, decision theory or other profound things that vaguely relate to that sort of stuff
- In favor of kindness, reason, truth, non-tribalism, and not demonizing the outgroup
- The system is not your friend
- Bayesianism, reductionism, rationality, diseased thinking, etc.
- Scientific studies: Not as great as you might think…
- Is reality biologistic?
- Politics – or why prediction markets should rule the world
- Not everyone in the medical system is as brilliant as Scott…
- Doing good…
- Human psychology: a mixed bag
- The ultimate mind-kill section
- The library of Scott Alexandria
Coordination, game theory, decision theory or other profound things that vaguely relate to that sort of stuff
In favor of kindness, reason, truth, non-tribalism, and not demonizing the outgroup
- In Favor of Niceness, Community, and Civilization
- I Can Tolerate Anything Except the Outgroup
- Five Case Studies on Politicization
- Guided By the Beauty of Our Weapons
- The Spirit of the First Amendment
- We Are All MsScribe
- Against Bravery Debates
- All Debates Are Bravery Debates
The system is not your friend
Bayesianism, reductionism, rationality, diseased thinking, etc.
- Generalizing From One Example
- Intellectual Hipsters and Meta-Contrarianism
- If It’s Worth Doing, It’s Worth Doing with Made-Up Statistics
- Diseased Thinking: Dissolving Questions about Disease
- Proving Too Much
- The Noncentral Fallacy — The Worst Argument in the World?
- Weak Men are Superweapons
- All in All, Another Brick in the Motte
Scientific studies: Not as great as you might think…
- Beware the Man of One Study
- Two Dark Side Statistics Papers
- The Control Group Is Out Of Control
- Noisy Poll Results and the Reptilian Muslim Climatologists from Mars
Is reality biologistic?
- Book Review: The Nurture Assumption
- Society is Fixed, Biology is Mutable
- Proposed Biological Explanations for Historical Trends in Crime
Politics – or why prediction markets should rule the world
- A Something Sort of Like Left-Libertarian-ist Manifesto
- The Non-Libertarian FAQ (aka Why I Hate Your Freedom)
- Democracy is the Worst Form of Government Except for All the Others Except Possibly Futarchy
- A Thrive/Survive Theory of the Political Spectrum
- Right is the New Left
- Basic Income Guarantees
- Vote on Values, Outsource Beliefs
Not everyone in the medical system is as brilliant as Scott…
…especially not when it comes to antidepressants
…in a world full of misery
Human psychology: a mixed bag
The ultimate mind-kill section
- Drug Testing Welfare Users is a Sham, But Not for the Reasons You Think
- Lies, Damned Lies, and Facebook (Part 1 of ∞)
- Lies, Damned Lies, and Social Media: False Rape Accusations
- Fearful Symmetry
- A Response to Apophemi on Triggers
- Black People Less Likely
- Framing for Light Instead of Heat
Feminism, race, sex, PUA, loaded terms, people yelling at each other, losing your faith in humanity, etc.
- The First Meditation on Privilege
- The Second Meditation on Privilege
- The Third Meditation on Privilege
- The Fifth Meditation on Creepiness
- The Sixth Meditation on Superweapons
- The Seventh Meditation on the War on Applause Lights
- The Eighth Meditation on Superweapons and Bingo
- The Ninth Meta-tation on Meta
The library of Scott Alexandria
I also highly recommend Rob Bensinger’s “Library of Scott Alexandria” which is more extensive.