Hi there! I write – rarely – about a variety of topics, including effective altruism, philosophy, psychology, the far future and artificial intelligence, as well as epistemic and instrumental rationality.
Table of Contents
They say lists can be worth more than a thousand words.
thinkers humans: Scott Alexander, Bertrand Russell, Brian Tomasik, Sam Harris, George Orwell, Nick Bostrom, Carl Shulman, Eliezer Yudkowsky. (I didn’t add several of my personal friends because they are (much) less well-known.)
The jesters of existence: Arthur Schopenhauer, Michel Houellebecq, J.D. Salinger, DeliciousTacos.
- Rationality: From AI to Zombies by Eliezer Yudkowsky
- Superintelligence by Nick Bostrom
- Why everyone (else) Is A Hypocrite by Robert Kurzban
- The Moral Animal by Robert Wright
- The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt
- The Blank Slate by Steven Pinker
- The Open Society And Its Enemies by Karl Popper
- Moral Tribes by Joshua Greene
- The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins
- The Autobiography Of Bertrand Russell by Bertrand Russell
- Our Mathematical Universe by Max Tegmark
- Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
My Goodreads profile with more books.
Blog posts and essays
- What I Have Lived For (Bertrand Russell)
- Meditations on Moloch (Slate Star Codex)
- (Here more of my favorite SSC posts)
- Simply Locate Yourself (Minding Our Way)
- Shit Jobs: Telemarketing (Delicious Tacos)
- Report: It All Some Kind Of Sick Joke by The Onion
Blogs and websites
- Slate Star Codex
- Foundational Research Institute
- S-Town (“Shit Town”)
- Waking Up (by Sam Harris)
- This American Life
- This is Actually Happening
Movies & series
See this IMDb list of my favorite movies.
See this IMDb list of my favorite series.
You can reach me at: wallowinmaya|at|gmx|dot|de